ART OF ILLUMINATION (Tezhip) FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS
Date: Wednesdays, 13 January – 3 February 2021
Time: 6-8 pm (GMT)
Duration: 4 weeks
Fee: £150 (excludes materials)
Class Size: Min. 4 – Max.10 Students
Instructor: Nagihan Seymour
Deadline for Application: Tuesday, 12 January 2021
This ONLINE 4-week course will cover Ottoman tradition ‘Tezhip’ patterns by artist Nagihan Seymour. The course will be given in small groups (max. 10 students) to preserve the classroom atmosphere whilst online. This interactive course will start with an overview of the history and origins of the art. Students will receive hand-outs, weekly homework, live and emailed corrections throughout the duration of the course to track improvement.
Traditional floral motifs (hatai, gonca, penç etc) will be taught, and students will create their own ‘Shamsa’ composition by tracing and painting according to traditional techniques and with the guidance of the instructor. Students will finish their work using traditional painting, outlining and illumination brush techniques.
Required Equipment & Materials
- Watercolour Paper (300gsm)
- A4 Paper
- Tracing paper
- Mechanical Pencil
- A ruler
- A compass (optional)
- Gouache Paint (White, Black, Yellow, Red, Green, Blue, Gold)
- Acrylic Paint (One of the following: Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Dark Red, Dark Green)
- 3-0, 2-0 Paint Brush
Classes will take place through ZOOM, an online platform.
ZOOM in 2 Easy Steps:
1. You will need an internet enabled device with a microphone and camera such as a laptop, phone or tablet.
Phones and tablets: Download zoom app.
Laptops: Visit www.zoom.us/join (No download required)
For further technical support visit support.zoom.us.
2. You will receive a personalised link one day before the course starts. The link will take you directly to your virtual classroom.
This course requires a minimum number of enrollments to run. If you have any questions or queries, please direct them to us on firstname.lastname@example.org