Online Ottoman Turkish For Beginners
Date: Saturdays , 11 July – 28 August 2020
Time: 2:00 – 4:00 pm
Duration: 8 weeks
Class Size: Min. 4 – Max.12 Students
Instructor: Dr Cumhur Bekar
Deadline for Application: Thursday, 9 July 2020
Ottoman Turkish was the direct predecessor of modern Turkish spoken today in Turkey and large geography outside of Turkey that used to form a part of the Ottoman Empire. This ONLINE course will be an introduction to basics of Ottoman Turkish through learning the alphabet and readings in printed text selections. The fundamental principles of Turkish grammar and syntax will be frequently reviewed. The students will also be introduced to the Arabic and Persian elements incorporated into Ottoman Turkish. Another important aspect of this course is to familiarize the students with the use of dictionaries to solve problems encountered in the assigned texts.
The class requires specific knowledge of the Turkish language to the level of at least B2.
Classes will take place through ZOOM or SKYPE, online platforms.
ZOOM in 2 Easy Steps:
1. You will need an internet enabled device with a microphone and camera such as a laptop, phone or tablet.
Phones and tablets: Download zoom app.
Laptops: Visit www.zoom.us/join (No download required)
For further technical support visit support.zoom.us.
2. You will receive a personalised link sent by the Institute. The link will take you directly to your virtual classroom.
Skype Call in 3 Easy Steps:
1. Install Skype by clicking on the following link https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/
2. Create an account or use your current Microsoft Account.
3. You will receive the user name of your instructor sent by the Institute and then add the instructor as a friend. If you have trouble with finding the instructor, please send us your user name via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will add you.
This course requires a minimum number of enrollments to run. If you have any questions or queries, please direct them to us on email@example.com