Yûnus’un Otağı: Turkish Culture&Speaking Club
Days: Every Friday
Time: 18.00 – 20.30
Start date: Friday 13th October 2023
End date: Friday 24th November 2023
Fee: Free for current Turkish course students
Teacher: Hadra Kübra Erkınay Tamtamış
Address: 10 Maple Street, W1T 5HA
Practice your Turkish speaking in a relaxing and informal environment with refreshments, games, videos, and fun surprises at our latest club: Yûnus’un Otağı (Yunus’ home)!
“Yûnus’un Otağı” is a club established in 2022 by Yunus Emre Institute London in order to promote Turkish language and culture. The club ‘Yûnus’un Otağı’, which translates as ‘Yunus’ tent’ takes its name from the famous poet, Yunus Emre, as well as a traditional Turkish tent used as a former living space, brings together those who want to experience Turkish culture and practice their Turkish language skills every Friday evening. The club is run by Turkish Education Coordinator Dr. Hadra Kübra Erkınay Tamtamış, and Turkish teachers of the institute also join each week. A theme is addressed every week in the club, and various materials appropriate for the theme are prepared and provided on club days. The club is free of charge for Turkish course students at Yunus Emre Institute London. In addition to practicing Turkish, the club organizes a variety of activities to promote Turkish Culture, such as: making Turkish Coffee, kneading ‘çiğ köfte (traditional meatballs) during Turkish Sıra Night, performing Turkish Folk Dances and singing folk songs. The themes that will be covered in the club during the 2023 Spring semester are as follows: introducing yourself, games (taboo, name-place–animal-thing, silent cinema), drinks, Turkish Movies, Turkish TV Series, travel/trip and a list of places to visit in Turkey.
Do not miss this fantastic opportunity!
Sign up for the club below or just turn up on the day!
- 13.10.2023 – Afternoon Tea Party: This event includes a variety of Turkish snacks and tea, such as kısır, cacık, börek, irmik helva, and Turkish tea.
- 20.10.2023 – Game Night: Participants will play traditional games like Mangala and Scrabble.
- 27.10.2023 – Half Term (There is no class)
- 03.11.2023 – Music Night: This night is dedicated to Turkish music, and there may be live performances or music-related activities.
- 10.11.2023 – Shadow Play: Explore the traditional Turkish shadow play known as Karagöz-Hacivat.
- 17.11.2023 – Turkish Henna Night: Experience a traditional Turkish Henna Night, which is typically part of pre-wedding celebrations.
- 24.11.2023 – Turkish Culture Night & Celebrating Teachers’ Day: The club may host a night dedicated to Turkish culture, showcasing various aspects of Turkish culture and traditions.
It’s mentioned that Yûnus’un Otağı will be held in person at the Institute between 13.10.2023 and 24.11.2023. The club is open free of charge to all registered Turkish course students, providing an excellent opportunity for cultural immersion and social interaction. Enjoy your time at Yûnus’un Otağı!
For further information please contact us on 0207 387 3036 or at email@example.com